The City of Adrian is operated by Mayor Kim Adams and council members Jesse Yawn, Zelda Sumner, and Suzanne Hutchinson. The council operates with a weak mayor and a strong council.The council meets at least once a month at the Community Center Annex on Nora Blvd. The public is always welcome to attend the meetings. If you are interested in signing up to speak at the meeting you can do so at City Hall.
PLACE: The Adrian Community Center Annex located on Nora Blvd.
TIME: Second Monday of every month at 6:00pm
ADRIAN MAYOR AND COUNCIL MEETING
MONDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2019 AT 6:00PM
ADRIAN ANNEX, NORA BLVD., ADRIAN, GA. 31002
I. Call Meeting to Order: Mayor Kim Adams called the meeting to order at 6:16pm.
II. Invocation and Pledge of Allegiance: All in attendance stood for the pledge.
III. Adoption of Agenda: CM Yawn stated he would like to add a few items to the agenda. Items added were personnel in executive session, the millage rate, excess money in the water account, and back property taxes. CM Yawn made a motion to amend and adopt the agenda. Motion seconded by CM Hutchinson and carried by CM ZSumner. Motion passed.
1. Community Center- Clerk Jean stated that there was a leak in the community center roof and that the heating and air system also needs to be replaced. The council discussed the roof and getting a quote to replace it as well. CM Yawn made a motion to replace the heating and air unit for under $10,000 with approval on warranty and price from the Mayor. CM ZSumner made a motion to table the subject until there were three bids. There was no second on either motion. Mayor Kim Adams tabled the matter until there are more bids for the project.
2. Water Account Excess- Clerk Jean explained that she had been told by the city’s accountant that there is an excess amount of money in the water account that must be spent. CM Yawn made a motion to use the excess to pay off the well loan and to put what money is left over into savings. The motion was seconded by CM Hutchinson and carried by CM ZSumner. Motion passed.
3. Budget Amendment- Clerk Jean announced that she was done amending the budget. The council reviewed the amended budget and discussed current contracts. CM Yawn made a motion to reevaluate all current contracts in January. Motion seconded by CM ZSumner and carried by CM Hutchinson. Motion passed.
4. Tank Pro- Clerk Jean updated the council and let them know that the letter has been sent to Tank Pro. They have received the letter and requested a meeting on October 29th at 10:30 am.
5. Evans- Clerk Jean informed the council that Evans has it in the contract to increase the price of garbage by 5% this year and the two following years.
6. Tax Sale- The council discussed the tax sale of two properties in the city. CM Yawn made a motion to send someone to the tax sale with a limit of 5,000 for each property using the money from the sale of the health department. Motion seconded by CM Hutchinson and carried by CM ZSumner. Motion passed.
7. Animal Shelter- Clerk Jean was going to discuss getting a contract with the Swainsboro Animal Shelter but was informed that the shelter has been closed.
8. District 9 meeting- Clerk Jean announced that she registered everyone for the district 9 meeting in East Dublin on October 29th.
9. DCA Report- The accountant has filed the city’s past due DCA reports and the one for 2018.
10. Millage Rate- Clerk Jean presented the council with the millage rate paperwork. CM Yawn made a motion to run the millage rate in the paper as 11.130. Motion seconded by CM Hutchinson and carried by CM ZSumner. Motion passed. Three hearings will be held.
11. Back Taxes- Clerk Jean will be working with someone to figure the back taxes owed to the city and will update the council next month.
V. Public Speakers:
Lee Smallwood – could not attend the meeting.
VI. Adoption of Minutes: CM Hutchinson made a motion to accept the September 16th Work Shop minutes, the September 16th minutes, and the September 16th executive minutes. Motion seconded by CM Yawn and carried by CM ZSumner. Motion passed. Minutes accepted.
VII. Reconciliations: CM Hutchinson made a motion to accept the August 2019 and September 2019 bank statements and reconciliations. Motion seconded by CM Yawn and carried by CM ZSumner. Motion passed. Bank statements and reconciliations accepted.
VIII. Unfinished Business:
1. T-Splost- Clerk Jean updated the council that all of the money for T-Splost has been spent.
2. Code Enforcement Ordinance – Mayor Kim Adams read the second reading of the code enforcement ordinance.
IX. New Business:
1. Budget Amendment- Discussed under announcements.
2. Tank Pro Letter- Discussed under announcements.
3. Water/ Maint. Position- Mayor Kim Adams stated that interviews needed to be held this week. The council also discussed looking into temp services.
4. Community Center Quote- Discussed under announcements.
5. Workshops- CM Hutchinson made a motion to start having workshops as of the February 11, 2020 meeting. Motion seconded by CM Yawn and carried by CM ZSumner. Motion passed. Workshops will be held before every monthly council meeting at 5:30.
Department Head Reports
1. Fire Department- Chief Yawn informed the council of the training session that was held Sunday with the helicopter. He stated that everything with the department is going well.
2. Street/Water Department- Personnel was previously discussed.
3. Police Department- Sgt. Strickland reported how may calls and citations there were since the last council meeting.
CM Yawn made a motion to give Kyle Strickland a $1.00 raise. Motion seconded by CM Hutchinson and carried by CM ZSumner. Motion passed.
CM Yawn made a motion to give Felicia Owen a $0.50 raise. Motion seconded by CM Hutchinson. CM ZSumner abstained. Motion passed.
4. Safety Department- Felicia Owen reported that the safety grant has been turned in. The application was for one full fire suit and 5 pairs of fire hoods and 5 pairs of fire gloves.
5. Recreation Department- CM Hutchinson informed the council about the Trunk-or-Treat. Everyone will need to be lined up by 5:45pm. The event will be from 6:00pm to 8:00pm. The Police Department discussed serving food. CM Hutchinson then moved on to the Christmas Parade. The parade will be held on Friday, December 6th at 6:00pm. The council discussed moving the vendors to the ball field.
XI. Adjournment: CM Hutchinson made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Motion seconded by CM Yawn and carried by CM ZSumner. Motion passed. Meeting adjourned at 7:45pm.