The City of Adrian is operated by Mayor Wynola Smith and council members Jesse Yawn, Julie Griffin, Michelle Leirer-Love, Ed Brown, and Suzanne Hutchinson. The council operates with a weak mayor and a strong council. The council meets at least once a month at the Community Center Annex on Nora Blvd. The public is always welcome to attend the meetings. If you are interested in signing up to speak at the meeting you can do so at City Hall.
PLACE: The Adrian Community Center Annex located on Nora Blvd.
TIME: Second Monday of every month at 6:00pm
ADRIAN MAYOR AND COUNCIL MEETING
MONDAY, APRIL 12, 2021,
WORKSHOP: 5:30PM, MEETING 6:00PM
ADRIAN ANNEX, NORA BLVD., ADRIAN, GA. 31002
I. Call Meeting to Order: Mayor Smith called the meeting to order at 6:05pm.
II. Invocation and Pledge of Allegiance: All in attendance stood for the pledge.
III. Adoption of Agenda: CM Love made a motion to add an executive session for personnel and adopt the agenda. Motion seconded by CM Hutchinson. Motion carried by CM Yawn, CM Brown, and CM Griffin. Motion passed.
IV. Announcements: None
V. Public Speakers:
Zelda Sumner- Council: Zelda Sumner asked CM Yawn if she could get a copy of the contract between the city and the fire dept. He said he would get her a copy. She then asked CM Brown if he attended a meeting with the DA and the former city clerk. He stated that he did not go with her.
Jason Bennett- Multiple things: Was not in attendance at the time- spoke at the end of the meeting.
Nick Alfonso- Rules of speakers: Nick Alfonso stated the Mayor Smith covered most of what he wanted to talk about. He spoke about the city equipment needing to be maintained. He then asked about the update to the charter asking if citizens will have any say in the changes. Mayor Smith informed him he could reach out to council members with their input.
VI. Adoption of Minutes: CM Hutchinson made a motion to adopt the March 8th minutes and executive minutes. Motion seconded by CM Yawn. Motion carried by CM Griffin, CM Brown, and CM Love. Motion passed. Minutes adopted.
VII. Reconciliations: Update from Southern Software- They are working on them and will have them done as soon as possible.
VIII. Unfinished Business:
1. Charter- Mayor Smith asked for the council to send any recommendations or changes about the charter to the attorney. She asked the citizens to get with the council members if they had any recommendations and that citizens are welcome to get a copy of the draft.
2. Mosquito training- postponed
3. Knapp Building- Mayor Smith stated that they are waiting on a waiver and once it is done Shannon Watkins will give a quote on the price of tearing down the ice house.
4. Weather Alarm System- CM Love stated that she has received on quote on the system for $27,000 she will be receiving another one later this week.
5. Safety Grant- CM Hutchinson stated that she received all the information for the grant from the clerk and hopes to turn in the grant by August. They will have the next safety meeting in May.
6. Ditches- Mayor Smith reported that the DOT cleaned out some ditches on HWY 80.
7. EPA Grant- Mayor Smith reported that she has submitted the RFQs for the grant and that it so the first part of the process. She will update the council when she has more information.
IX. New Business:
1. Microphones- Mayor Smith is waiting on a quote for microphones to use for the council members so the audience can hear the meetings better.
2. Software Loan- Mayor Smith announced that the software loan was paid in full.
3. GMA Training- Mayor Smith spoke to the council about a few things she learned in training. She will cover everything over the next few months. For this meeting she spoke about the responsibility of the council and Mayor. She stated that the council represents the citizens and they need to do what’s best for the city. The day to day is the responsibility for the Mayor.
4. Termination- CM Hutchinson made a motion to terminate Wardale Lovett. Motion seconded by CM Brown. Motion carried by CM Love, CM Yawn, and CM Griffin. Motion passed.
5. Interviews- The council agreed to hold interviews Thursday at 6pm with CM Brown, CM Yawn, and the Mayor. CM Yawn made a motion to have the Mayor hire someone after the interviews and finalize it the next meeting. Motion seconded by CM Love. Motion carried by CM Griffin, CM Hutchinson, and CM Brown. Motion passed.
X. Executive Session: CM Yawn made a motion to go out of regular session and into executive session at 6:49pm Motion seconded by CM Love. Motion carried by CM Brown, CM Griffin, and CM Hutchinson. Motion passed.
XI. Regular Session: CM Yawn made a motion to go out of executive session and into regular session at 7:01pm. Motion seconded by CM Love. Motion carried by CM Hutchinson, CM Griffin, and CM Brown.
Department Head Reports
Fire Department- Chief Yawn reported that the department’s radio repeater is down because of the recent storm. It has been sent to Motorola and he is waiting to hear back from them. The call numbers have been down this past month but he did not have the exact numbers. The department helped with birthday parade and two funerals over the weekend.
Street/Water Department- CM Brown reported that Johnny said everything was good. CM Yawn stated that the tractor and the claws were both down. He is currently making an adjustment to the tractor but it will most likely be the last time. He suggested reaching out to surrounding counties/cities to see about a spare set of claws. He believes the last one was form Dublin. The council briefly discussed getting a quote for dumpsters on a regular basis.
Police Department- Chief Strickland had to leave the meeting early and was not in attendance.
Safety Department- Already discussed.
Recreation Department- CM Griffin reported that she has been looking into an in line water heater but will need the exact measurements to get a quote.
Julie Griffin- stated that she created a Facebook page for the missing pets in the Adrian area.
Suzanne Hutchinson- thanked the police and fire dept. for their work over the weekend for the birthday drive by and the funerals. She stated that they were professional and appreciates them all.
Jesse Yawn- had nothing to report.
Michelle Love- stated that she spoke with a homeschool mother about a day at the park for the other kids in the area. Mayor Smith asked her to get with the mother and plan a date for the event.
Ed Brown- had nothing to report.
Mayor Wynola Smith- reported that the land surveying will be completed soon. They have the deed and plaque work done and will be completing the field work within the next few weeks.
Speaker: Jason Bennett- spoke to the council about the limbs in town. The Mayor stated they are hoping to be able to have the dumpsters more regularly for the citizens to use. He asked about some dirt on the road from leaning out the ditches. It was left so it could dry and will be cleaned up as soon as possible. He then asked for the council to explain the court fund to him. The Mayor explained that the court fun was money brought in from people paying citations. The money is then distributed to the state, judge, software program, general fund, etc. Lastly he spoke about the EPA Grant.
XIII. Adjournment: CM Yawn made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:32pm. Motion seconded by CM Love. Motion carried by CM Griffin, CM Hutchinson, and CM Brown. Motion passed. Meeting adjourned.